Supermodel

A Sega Model 3 Arcade Emulator

Configure XBOX 360 Controller Dead Zone

Having technical difficulties with Supermodel? Can't figure out how to undo that bra clasp? Get help here.
Forum rules
Keep it classy, ladies!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No catty remarks about models' weights!

Configure XBOX 360 Controller Dead Zone

Postby RaydenX » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:56 pm

As the title says, I need to set a deadzone on my axes since they are too sensitive.
How can I do this?

Thanks to those who will help me out ;)
To buy Daytona USA 1 on PSN or not to buy Daytona USA 1 on PSN? That is the question.
RaydenX

Re: Configure XBOX 360 Controller Dead Zone

Postby Bart » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:13 pm

As I understand it, deadzone is for "noisy" joysticks that won't center, which is generally not the case with XBox pads. Depending on the game, setting saturation values in excess of 100% might be helpful (there was a previous thread about this). I think that the deadzone calibration can be accomplished from inside -config-inputs (there is a calibration option). To manually play with the values, you'll have to edit Supermodel.ini. Consult README.txt for a detailed explanation of the configuration file and allowed settings. Each axis can be calibrated independently with a few settings that are described in the document.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby RaptorZX3 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:31 pm

in fact, XBox 360 joysticks need a dead zone because they don't center properly. BUT the Playstation controller joysticks do center properly, i tried it with my controller and it always go in the perfect center everytime.

So yes...for the XBox 360 controller, it need a larger dead zone than 1%.

But the thing is the note on how to increase this dead zone is kinda confusing.
RaptorZX3

Postby RaptorZX3 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:42 pm

sorry about the delay.

I mean after configuring the XBox 360 controller, the stick is over-sensitive, like in Daytona USA 2, sometimes you don't have to touch the stick, only the way it's placed make your car turn (because the XBox 360 controller sticks doesn't center correctly, even if the controller is brand-new), this is why the Dolphin emulator have a setting where you can set the dead zone for each stick, for those sticks which doesn't center correctly...
RaptorZX3

Postby Bart » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:30 pm

RaptorZX3 wrote:sorry about the delay.

I mean after configuring the XBox 360 controller, the stick is over-sensitive, like in Daytona USA 2, sometimes you don't have to touch the stick, only the way it's placed make your car turn (because the XBox 360 controller sticks doesn't center correctly, even if the controller is brand-new), this is why the Dolphin emulator have a setting where you can set the dead zone for each stick, for those sticks which doesn't center correctly...

Supermodel also has dead zone settings. I forget whether the calibration utility Nik wrote (ie. when you press 'b' in the input configuration dialog, which is accessed by starting Supermodel with -config-inputs on the command line) tries to detect dead zones or not but you can certainly adjust them with the InputJoyXXDeadZone setting, where XX is the joystick number and axis. For example, InputJoy1XDeadZone is joystick 1, X-axis. By experimenting with the configuration dialog, you can determine which axis and joystick number you need to use. The parameter is a percentage of the axis range to ignore and treat as 0. The default is 2, for 2%. To change it to 5%, you might write:

InputJoy1XDeadZone = 5

Make sure to place these settings in the [Global] section at the beginning of the INI file. Read README.txt for more information. Everything is detailed there. If you need further assistance, be specific about which part of the README.txt is unclear, please.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby RaptorZX3 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:44 pm

so 1X is for X-axis, and 1Y for y-axis?

if so, then logically 2X and 2Y is for the 2nd stick's axises?
RaptorZX3

Postby Bart » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:54 pm

Precisely. For some axes, it is not so clear cut (for example, XBox or PS2-style controllers, which feature multiple joysticks and analog triggers). You can look at the README.txt to see what other axis names exist (Z, RX, RY, RZ, I think) but to find out which is which on your controller, the best way is to test things out with -config-inputs and see how Supermodel responds.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby nikdd » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:25 am

Bart wrote:I forget whether the calibration utility Nik wrote (ie. when you press 'b' in the input configuration dialog, which is accessed by starting Supermodel with -config-inputs on the command line) tries to detect dead zones

Yep, the calibration screen accessible from the -config-inputs menu does set the dead zone as part of its calibration. It will also auto-detect the required axis if asked, so it is an easier way to set the dead zone to begin with.
nikdd

Return to The Fitting Room